Addressing the global threat of antimicrobial resistance
World Antibiotic Awareness Week (18 - 24 November) aims to increase awareness of antibiotic resistance as a global issue, and to promote best practices among the general public and healthcare professionals. Find out more about the work Teva is doing globally to avoid the further emergence and spread of antimicrobial resistance (AMR).
As one of the world's largest manufacturers of antibiotics, Teva is committed to working with industry peers and global healthcare organisations to indentify solutions to the global threat of AMR.
Our approach to addressing the issue focuses on research and science, access, appropriate use and the environment. Some of the concrete steps we are taking as a company include:
- Promoting access to critical antibiotic and antifungal medicines for those in need through qualified donation partners and global health tenders
- Serving on the board of the AMR Industry Alliance, which brings together over 100 biotech, diagnostics, generics and research-based pharmaceutical companies to drive progress to reducing AMR
- Helping develop the AMR Industry Alliance's Antibiotic Discharge Targets for environmental risk assessments of antibiotics
- Developing and publishing Teva's position on AMR which details our commitment, approach and aspirations for tackling this global challenge.
We all have a role to play in ensuring the proper use of antibiotics, and there are many simple things you can do to prevent AMR such as:
- Taking your full course of medication, even if you are feeling better
- Not sharing your antibiotics with others
- Not saving your antibiotics for future use
You can also prevent the use of antibiotics in the first place by:
- Washing your hands often
- Preparing food safely
- Covering your mouth when you cough and staying home when sick
- Staying up-to-date with your vaccinations
For more information on World Antibiotic Awareness Week, please click here.
Want to explore social impact and responsibility at Teva, and find out more about how we are leading a responsible business committed to healthy communities? Check out the 'Our Impact' section of our website here.
Date of preparation: November 2019